[openbeosnetteam] Re: PPP API

  • From: "Nathan Whitehorn" <nathan.whitehorn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 11:58:26 -0400

> > I've been busy lately, so I haven't had to time to look at it.
> > However,
> > as my response has been requested, I feel obliged to at least say
> > something. Perhaps I can remedy the situation by dumping lots of
> > code
> > at you guys: http://members.verizon.net/~vze236yf/
> > net_server_stuff.zip
> > This code was written in another context, and (for a variety of
> > reasons) is probably slow as hell, but it does illustrate some of
> > the
> > ideas I've mentioned. It also (as far as it goes -- which is a
> > generic
> > ethernet driver and a PPPoE stack) actually works, and does so
> > quite
> > well. I have omitted all of the support libraries, however. If you
> > want
> > them, e-mail me. Maybe that will delay you long enough for me to be
> > able to take a look at yours.
>
> I like the idea, really. Unfortunately, it is too inefficient.
> Strings are
> flexible, but too slow for this. Int32 is not felxible enough because
> you
> cannot define codes that say what they do (like "pppoe/ethernet").

The use of strings, in general, is one of the variety of reasons it is
slow as hell. This particular usage is not, since those strings are
only used once, for configuration purposes, at system startup. That
will not slow anything down at all.

> There must be a better solution....
> Anyway, I want to produce some code now, so I will not write many
> mails in
> that time.

int32 handles for attributes would speed things up significantly. But
changing the type of layer names won't affect anything at all.
-Nathan

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

Tonight's the night: Sleep in a eucalyptus tree.