[openbeosnetteam] Re: PPP API

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 14:57:35 +0200

> I've been busy lately, so I haven't had to time to look at it. However,
> as my response has been requested, I feel obliged to at least say
> something. Perhaps I can remedy the situation by dumping lots of code
> at you guys: http://members.verizon.net/~vze236yf/net_server_stuff.zip
> This code was written in another context, and (for a variety of
> reasons) is probably slow as hell, but it does illustrate some of the
> ideas I've mentioned. It also (as far as it goes -- which is a generic
> ethernet driver and a PPPoE stack) actually works, and does so quite
> well. I have omitted all of the support libraries, however. If you want
> them, e-mail me. Maybe that will delay you long enough for me to be
> able to take a look at yours.

I like the idea, really. Unfortunately, it is too inefficient. Strings are
flexible, but too slow for this. Int32 is not felxible enough because you
cannot define codes that say what they do (like "pppoe/ethernet").
There must be a better solution....
Anyway, I want to produce some code now, so I will not write many mails in
that time.

Waldemar