[openbeosnetteam] Re: DHCP Client needed,what would stand in the way?

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 22:22:08 +0200

> The API is almost finished - expect something to overlay an existing
> settings structure with new data is missing right now. That would not
> only be needed by the settings idea I proposed, but also by the boot
> loader which, at least in R5, allows to add new settings in the boot
> process.

Very nice (that it is almost finished).

> No, definitely not (yet). That would require many changes in the
> format, and I am afraid they wouldn't be that nice. That's something to
> think about at a later time, though.
> It would be easy if there would be only strings in those BMessages,
> though :-)

This would be no BMessage, then. ;)

> > > BTW I guess I will have to write a newsletter article about the
> > > revised
> > > driver_settings API anyway.
> > Please do. :)
>
> Sure :)

Thank you.
As you might have seen PPP makes use of it and there will be the need for
adding/changing entries in the structure. A nice little documentation (like
a newsletter article) would be of great help.

> > > If there are more than one file per profile, we should just put
> > > them
> > > all into one directory per profile.
> > > Also, (independently from the directory/file structure) we could do
> > > neat things like have a basic profile that others will inherit if
> > > specifications are missing.
> > The copy-paste method is a very good alternative. ;)
>
> Copy-paste?

Yes, you just copy the parent's settings and paste them into each
sub-profile. :)
This is not very powerful, but it is easier to understand for beginners.

Waldemar