[openbeosnetteam] Re: DHCP Client needed,what would stand in the way?

  • From: Lars Hansson <lars-openbeos-net@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 22:55:39 +0800

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 02:25:12PM +0200, Waldemar Kornewald wrote:
> Does not resolv.conf use "nameserver"? I thought that would be ok, then.
> "dnsresolver" is ok, too.

I'm just being picky. The term "nameserver" isnt entirely technically correct.
A dnscache can be likened to the Squid wwwpoxy and a nameserver to Apache and
using one in place of the other will not work well.

> You must specify the IP addresses of each nameserver. I thought IPv6
> addresses for those servers should be added to their own section because
> they have another format (than IPv4).
> This is just the implication of having many protocols and possibly having
> different DNS servers for each protocol.
> My thought was that somehow our netstack must know which entry belongs to
> which protocol.

There is no need to have different dnscaches handling different protocols.
At the time of the query the client can not know if the result is going
to contain only ipv4, only ipv6 or both types of addresses so it is not
possible to differentiate on a protocol basis.
The client program, or possibly resolver library, must be prepared to
handle both types of addresses in any given query.

> What I meant was:
> 1) The DHCP module gets the ip and dns.
> 2) DHCP saves the ip entry as a dynamic IPv4 attribute in the interface
> module
> 3) DHCP saves the DNS entry as a dynamic IPv4 attribute in the DNS interface
> module (i.e., it does not belong to the interface, but is a global entry).

Ah, now I see. That makes sense.

----
Lars Hansson