[openbeosnetteam] Re: DHCP Client needed,what would stand in theway?

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 00:37:30 +0200 CEST

"Waldemar Kornewald" <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > The API is almost finished - expect something to overlay an
> > existing
> > settings structure with new data is missing right now. That would
> > not
> > only be needed by the settings idea I proposed, but also by the
> > boot
> > loader which, at least in R5, allows to add new settings in the
> > boot
> > process.
> Very nice (that it is almost finished).

But the implementation has to be revised some day - it has been
optimized to work with a very simeple & dumb memory allocator, and
that's not really necessary anymore; for the boot loader, I have
something a little bit different in mind anyway (cause the boot loader
heap is supposed to go away once the kernel is running).

> > No, definitely not (yet). That would require many changes in the
> > format, and I am afraid they wouldn't be that nice. That's
> > something to
> > think about at a later time, though.
> > It would be easy if there would be only strings in those BMessages,
> > though :-)
> This would be no BMessage, then. ;)

It could be :-))
Anyway, the current driver settings language doesn't allow for this -
once we update its docs, we should reserve some characters which allow
further enhancement in this direction, though.

> > > Please do. :)
> > Sure :)
> Thank you.
> As you might have seen PPP makes use of it and there will be the need
> for
> adding/changing entries in the structure. A nice little documentation
> (like
> a newsletter article) would be of great help.

Yes, I can imagine.

> > > The copy-paste method is a very good alternative. ;)
> > Copy-paste?
> Yes, you just copy the parent's settings and paste them into each
> sub-profile. :)
> This is not very powerful, but it is easier to understand for
> beginners.

That would be okay for the GUI at least (for a start) - I don't want to
do something like this in the settings files :)

Adios...
   Axel.