[openbeosnetteam] Re: DHCP Client needed,what would stand in the way?

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 13:03:05 +0200

Sorry that it took so long, but I had some code to commit. ;)

> "Waldemar Kornewald" <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > But we still edit driver_settings, can we?
>
> What do you mean with this? driver_settings can be written manually,
> they can be programmatically edited, and written back to a file easily
> with the new API extensions.

So, is the extended driver settings API finished (that one listed on the
kernel team task list)?
Or do you plan to extended it to support flattening BMessages in
driver_setttings format?

> BTW I guess I will have to write a newsletter article about the revised
> driver_settings API anyway.

Please do. :)

> > > It's just that our current get*byname() implementation is based on
> > > ISC Bind client, which use /etc/resolv.conf.
> > > Changing the way nameserver(s) list are stored will involve
> > > modifying
> > > /
> > > forking ISC Bind client code.
> > > Not that I'm against it, as our implementation is not a port but an
> > > adaptation, and I always found
> > > these /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/hosts too much Unix-y for BeOS.
> > Is it so big?
>
> OTOH, the location /etc for network settings is the right one as long
> as we don't have a /boot/common/settings/ directory (or
> B_COMMON_SETTINGS_DIRECTORY).
> I dunno what find_directory() will return for this constant right now,
> but I think we might want to introduce that directory in OpenBeOS,
> maybe even in R1.
> The advantage of having common settings files (like /etc/resolv.conf)
> is that everybody who knows Unix a bit will feel at home, and be able
> to config the system immediately without having to use a GUI :)

I have nothing against making R1 better than R5.
We do not have to copy everything Be made.

> If there are more than one file per profile, we should just put them
> all into one directory per profile.
> Also, (independently from the directory/file structure) we could do
> neat things like have a basic profile that others will inherit if
> specifications are missing.

The copy-paste method is a very good alternative. ;)

> So we could have a whole basic configuration and the profiles will just
> change the IP address or switch DHCP on/off. I would be okay if that
> advanced feature would only be available through the command line (at
> first), though :)

That is okay for me, too.
GUI programming eats up too much time that we do not have.

Waldemar