[ola] Re: Teaching words/phrases for circumlocution and for staying in spanish.

  • From: "Jody Soberon" <JodySo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 07:33:39 -0800

Here is another version, thanks to one of you which I added to! And the
4 pt verb sheet from Nanosh. Last year I had students do a two slide ppt
with the sheet and the second sheet was pictures and use of the verb in
context. It was quite fun and provided not only for students to share
their interests, but gave us lots of hooks and conversations as well.

Jody

Foreign Languages
Brookings Harbor High School
>>> Stel Schmalz <sschmalz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 11/3/2013 5:23 AM

Dan- That was awsome. I still have a few kids who tell me that they
can't circumlocute and are shy about participating. This will really
help them.

Andrew- Last year, someone on on the listserve created a list of useful
circumlocution starters. I made them bigger, printed them out on
colorful cardstock, and have put them around my room. I teach different
levels, so some are a little more advanced, but you could easily sort
out the more advanced ones only post the simple ones for now, then add
others as the year goes on. If I were to do it again, I would use
different colors for easy, med and adv ones. You could also do a lesson
with one, where they practice it first, then add it to the wall.

Not all of the kids use these yet, but I have seen many kids looking
around and using some of them when they are stuck.

I have attached the document

On Sun, Nov 3, 2013 at 12:07 AM, Call Daniel <dcall@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Drew,
I taught circumlocution strategies to my students a couple of weeks
ago, and it went fairly well. I put together this prezi that you’d be
welcome to use. It sets them up with some basic categories for
circumlocution, and then gives them the chance to practice, first with a
script, then without. Hope this helps out.
http://prezi.com/c9sz0hgigl0e/la-circunlocucion/#

Dan Call
Franklin Pierce High School