[ola] Re: Teaching words/phrases for circumlocution and for staying in spanish.

  • From: Ashley Uyaguari <auyaguari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 22:19:43 -0500

So, I honestly haven't done it for 90 minutes yet. But, I truly believe
it's possible. I want to try it to get a feel for how difficult it is,
because I don't like sharing advice when I haven't been in your shoes.

A few quick ideas are:

Silent Activities (Comprehensible input with students communicating through
actions)

1. Make sure to have lots of  activities for first year students that don't
require them to speak. Do things like ask questions where they stand up
when they agree and sit down when the disagree. Be sure that this is
silent. If some Spanish starts popping up, that's GREAT! But, no English
should be allowed.

I've done this with description, biographical info, opinions. If you need
more specifics, I can share.

2. You could also have certain things on the walls that they move to, like
me gusta mucho, me gusta un poco, no me gusta, no tengo opinion. Then using
pictures or something visual and the Spanish, cue them to choose a wall.
Again, silence is acceptable but English is not! (You can have them repeat
your Spanish and repeat the wall they chose in Spanish too)

Repetition-
You can't have enough repetition with first years. If you need a
transition, repeat the vocab and the actions at random times and this gets
them in Spanish and gives you time to think of the next activity too.

You can also have students say words and the class repeats after them. Go
around the circle a few times like that.

Community Building
There are LOTS of community building things you can do without speaking.
Passing a sound or a clap, the wave, the different handshakes that were on
this listserve. So many things! Rock paper scissors- other competitions.

I believe, that the more you build these things into your class and give
them breaks from the tough language, chances to respond with their body
instead of Spanish, and opportunities to use the Spanish they know
successfully, the less room your class will have for any English.

Also, if kids are breaking into English, think about whether you are asking
them to do something that they are not ready to do. Novices are listing.
They should be listing for most of the class. Lots and lots of vocabulary
and memorized phrases and lots of repetition.

Another thing is use drawing. Have them list the vocab and draw the vocab
during class (this gives you a bit of a break too). Silence is ok here, but
English should not be accepted.

I hope some of this is helpful. I can write again but figured that any
response at this point was better than none. I'll check into trying out a
90 minute class so I can have a better feel for how hard it is (I can
imagine, but experience is even better).

I know Darcy used to have 90 minute classes, so I hope she'll chime in.

-Ashley

--
Ashley Uyaguari

Spanish Teacher 6/7/8
Team Curriculum Coordinator
Innovation Academy Charter School
Tyngsboro, MA 01879
978-649-0432 x3301

This email may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are
not the intended recipient, please advise by return e-mail and delete
immediately without reading or forwarding to others.