[obol] Re: White-tailed Kite/Red-shouldered Hawk Questions

  • From: Mike Patterson <celata@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'OBOL' <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 08:56:59 -0800

When I first moved to Clatsop Co (1987) there were White-tailed Kites
breeding in the Chinook Valley of Pacific Co to the north. On a good
day, one could find 4 or 5. I have noted breeding behavior for kites
(copulation, nest-building) at Astoria Airport and Brownsmead, though
not in the last 10 years or so. The range for kites appears to have
contracted since the end of the last 30-year dry cycle...

Red-shouldered Hawks are noisy summer residents at several spots
around Seaside and are presumed to be breeding there, the Astoria
Airport area and Brownsmead. I found my first ever Red-shouldered
Hawk across the river at Chinook Valley this year.

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR