[obol] Re: White-tailed Kite/Red-shouldered Hawk Questions

  • From: "Wayne Weber" <contopus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OBOL2" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 12:38:24 -0800

Tim and Oregon Birders,

The northern range limits of both White-tailed Kite and Red-shouldered Hawk are
not in Oregon; they are in SW Washington.

Kites were widespread in SW Washington in the 1980s and 1990s. Pairs on
territory were reported regularly as far north as Grays Harbor County and
Thurston County, with many pairs in Lewis County. I’m not sure how many records
there are of actual proven breeding in WA, but the first breeding record was
near Raymond in 1988. However, in the last 10 years or so, kites have
disappeared as a breeding species in WA.

Red-shouldered Hawks have been present regularly in at least Clark and Cowlitz
Counties, WA, since the early 1990s. I’m not certain if there are any positive
breeding records yet in WA, but it would be surprising if they had not at least
attempted breeding at or near Ridgefield NWR, where they are seen frequently.
There are scattered records of the species much farther north in WA, nearly all
of them in suitable breeding habitat for the species.

Wayne C. Weber

Delta, BC

contopus@xxxxxxxxx