[obol] Union County, Imbler : WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILL

  • From: "avitours" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "avitours" for DMARC)
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 09:00:55 -0800

Birders -
This morning (11/25, 8:15 a.m.), while checking one of my favorite, and most
productive spots for Common Redpolls in the Grande Ronde Valley, I found a
single, very stunning WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILL in a mixed flock of 32 HOUSE
FINCHES, 2 PINE SISKINS, 1 RED CROSSBILL, and 3 AMERICAN GOLDFINCHES.  While
preparing to digiscope this crossbill, I was suddenly thwarted by a
SHARP-SHINNED HAWK which flew through the area, as they often do, and spooked
all of the birds in every which way. Unsuccessful, the hawk has departed, the
large wad of EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVES have begun to ease back in, but no Finches
have returned.  I am unfortunately time limited this morning, and need to head
to work.  This area is near the end of Newport Street in Imbler, near the log
cabin style home on the west side of the road.  I will be checking this area
again when I have more time, maybe as early as tomorrow morning.  I am making a
few phone calls to local interested birders.  Maybe it will reappear and maybe
someone will relocate it.  Maybe a Redpoll will appear too.
Good birding and happy Thanksgiving Eve,
-TrentLa Grande, OR