[obol] SAS Ankeny NWR Field Trip Report

  • From: Mike Unger <unger730@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Blog <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Mid-Valley Bird Blog <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 17:35:33 -0700

*SAS ANKENY NWR FIELD TRIP SUMMARY*

For today's Salem Audubon birding field trip at Ankeny NWR, Barbara, Fred
and I were joined by seven others birders. The temperature was pretty
steady today at between 58 and 62 degrees. It was foggy for a brief bit
but the sun eventually came out. We made six stops around the refuge
including the Rail Trail. We observed (saw or heard) 49 species.

*Most notable sightings:*

· One young *Bald Eagle* was seen at Eagle Marsh;

· As far as ducks go we observed 375 *Green-winged Teal*, 2 *Northern
Shovelers*, one female *Wood Duck* and 14 *Mallards*. All of the ducks
were seen at Pintail Marsh because there is no water at Eagle Marsh;

· 2 *Great Horned Owls *were heard at the Eagle Marsh Overlook at around
6:58 AM when it was still dark out;

· We saw 13 *Greater White-fronted Geese* at Pintail Marsh;

· There was one *Lincoln’s Sparrow* at Pintail Marsh in the bushes along
the road;

· There were only 300 *Cackling Geese* observed today after seeing
around 2,500 yesterday during the National Wildlife Refuge activities.

A complete list of today's birds follows. Our next SAS field trip will be
at Minto-Brown Island Park on *Wednesday, November 4th at 8:00 a.m.*
*Note:* Daylight Savings Time begins on November 1st. Meet at Parking Lot
#3 at the end of Minto Island Road. Please join us if you can.

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Ankeny NWR Checklist Summary for October 18, 2015*

*Number of Species: 49*

*Checklists included in this summary:*
(1): Ankeny NWR--Eagle Marsh Overlook @ 6:58 AM
(2): Ankeny NWR--Pintail Marsh @ 8:04 AM
(3): Ankeny NWR--Rail Trail @ 8:53 AM
(4): Ankeny NWR--Eagle Marsh @ 10:17 AM
(5): Pullout on north side of Buena Vista Road just before Eagle Mash @
10:43 AM
(6): Corner of Ankeny Hill Rd and Buena Vista Rd @ 11:02 AM

13 Greater White-fronted Goose -- (2)
300 Cackling Goose (minima) -- (1),(2),(3)
1 Wood Duck -- (2)
14 Mallard -- (2)
2 Northern Shoveler -- (2)
375 Green-winged Teal -- (2)
6 California Quail -- (3)
4 Great Blue Heron -- (2),(4)
11 Great Egret -- (2),(4)
2 Northern Harrier -- (1),(2)
1 Bald Eagle -- (4)
3 Red-tailed Hawk -- (2),(3),(4)
5 Killdeer -- (1),(2)
1 Greater Yellowlegs -- (2)
6 Dunlin -- (2)
62 Long-billed Dowitcher -- (2)
5 Eurasian Collared-Dove -- (1),(2)
2 Great Horned Owl -- (1)
1 Anna's Hummingbird -- (2)
4 Acorn Woodpecker -- (6)
1 Downy Woodpecker -- (3)
8 Northern Flicker -- (1),(2),(3),(4),(6)
1 woodpecker sp. -- (5)
3 American Kestrel -- (1),(2)
1 Peregrine Falcon -- (2)
4 Western Scrub-Jay -- (1),(5),(6)
6 American Crow -- (1),(4)
10 Black-capped Chickadee -- (3)
1 White-breasted Nuthatch -- (3)
3 Brown Creeper -- (3)
2 Marsh Wren -- (5)
3 Bewick's Wren -- (1),(3),(4)
1 Golden-crowned Kinglet -- (3)
1 Ruby-crowned Kinglet -- (2)
10 American Robin -- (1),(3),(4)
1 Varied Thrush -- (3)
24 European Starling -- (1),(2),(3),(5),(6)
3 Cedar Waxwing -- (3)
1 Yellow-rumped Warbler -- (5)
5 Dark-eyed Junco (Oregon) -- (3)
3 White-crowned Sparrow -- (2),(5)