[obol] SAS Ankeny NWR Field Trip Report

  • From: Mike Unger <unger730@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Blog <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Mid-Valley Bird Blog <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 17:31:10 -0700

Hello birders -

*SAS ANKENY NWR FIELD TRIP SUMMARY*

For today's Salem Audubon birding field trip at Ankeny NWR, Barbara, Fred
and I were joined by 16 others including Carol and Brent from the
Statesman-Journal newspaper. Look for an article and photos in Monday’s
paper. We had a number of new birders and some returnees after a couple of
years off that joined us. The weather was awesome as many of us were in
tee-shirts within an hour or two of the start. As far as the birds go what
else can you say except spectacular. We made six stops around the refuge
including the organic farm. We identified (saw or heard) 71 species which
is one of the highest counts we have recorded in the past year or so.

*Most notable sightings:*

· A *Cassin’s Vireo* near the end of the Pintail-Egret Marsh Boardwalk.
We got a really good look at the vireo and the spectacles were very
distinct;

· A FOS *Yellow Warbler* about midway on the Pintail-Egret Marsh
Boardwalk;

· Quite a few *Osprey* including one carrying a fish;

· A * Common Goldeneye* was on Mohoff Marsh which is just north of Pintail
Marsh;

· 200 *Dunlin *with about 100 seen doing a murmuration at Pintail Marsh;

· One *Pileated Woodpecker* was seen flying from the large oak tree at
Eagle Marsh Overlook;

· One FOS *Black-headed Grosbeak* heard across the road from Las Brisas
Organic Farm. You can see the description of the call on eBird;

· 2 *Yellow-headed Blackbirds – *we got a real good look through a
spotting scope of one of them;

· A *Cooper’s Hawk* and a *Sharp-shinned Hawk* being chased by
blackbirds at separate locations;

· Observed at least 12 species of ducks including lots of *Green-winged
Teal* and male *Ruddy Ducks* in breeding plumage.

A complete list of today's birds follows. Our next SAS field trip will to
Camassia Preserve and Mt. Talbert Nature Park on *Thursday, April 30th at
8:00 a.m*. Meet at K-mart parking lot near Mission Street (next to Jack in
the Box) at 8:00 a.m. The next Minto-Brown Island Park field trip is
on *Wednesday,
May 6th at 7:00 a.m.* Meet at Parking Lot #3 at the end of Minto Island
Road. Please join us if you can.

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Ankeny NWR Checklist Summary for April 19, 2015*

*Number of Species: 71*

Checklists included in this summary:
(1): Ankeny NWR--Eagle Marsh Overlook @ 7:00 AM
(2): 2nd Pullout on right side of Buena Vista Rd S (north side) @ 8:27 AM
(3): Las Brisas Organic Farm @ 9:19 AM
(4): Ankeny NWR--Pintail Marsh @ 10:02 AM
(5): Ankeny NWR--Pintail and Egret Marsh--Boardwalk and Blind @ 1:03 PM
(6): Corner of Ankeny Hill Rd and Buena Vista Rd (Acorn WP Corner) @ 2:11 PM

2500 Cackling Goose (minima) – (1),(2),(4)
10 Canada Goose (moffitti/maxima) -- (2),(4)
1 Wood Duck -- (5)
3 Gadwall -- (4)
23 American Wigeon -- (1),(2),(4)
4 Mallard -- (1),(2),(4)
2 Cinnamon Teal -- (4)
18 Northern Shoveler -- (2),(4)
3 Northern Pintail -- (3),(4)
115 Green-winged Teal -- (2),(4)
4 Ring-necked Duck -- (4)
6 Lesser Scaup -- (4)
50 Bufflehead -- (4)
1 Common Goldeneye -- (4)
1 Hooded Merganser -- (4)
1 Ruddy Duck -- (4)
5 Pied-billed Grebe -- (4)
8 Great Blue Heron -- (1),(2),(4)
8 Turkey Vulture -- (4)
7 Osprey -- (2),(3),(4),(5)
2 Northern Harrier -- (1),(4)
1 Sharp-shinned Hawk -- (3)
1 Cooper's Hawk -- (4)
1 Bald Eagle -- (4)
6 Red-tailed Hawk -- (1),(2),(3),(4)
2 Virginia Rail -- (4)
1 Sora -- (1)
157 American Coot -- (2),(4)
3 Killdeer -- (1),(2),(4)
4 Greater Yellowlegs -- (2),(4)
200 Dunlin -- (2),(4)
67 Least Sandpiper -- (2),(4)
1 Western Sandpiper -- (2)
18 Long-billed Dowitcher -- (2),(4)
1 Wilson's Snipe -- (4)
1 Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) -- (3)
5 Eurasian Collared-Dove -- (1),(3),(4)
7 Barn Owl -- (3)
3 Acorn Woodpecker -- (6)
1 Downy Woodpecker -- (5)
6 Northern Flicker -- (1),(4),(5),(6)
1 Pileated Woodpecker -- (1)
1 American Kestrel -- (1)
1 Cassin's Vireo -- (5)
4 Western Scrub-Jay -- (1)
13 American Crow -- (1),(2),(3)
41 Tree Swallow -- (1),(2),(3),(4)
2 Violet-green Swallow -- (3)
7 Barn Swallow -- (2),(3)
1 Bushtit -- (5)
1 Brown Creeper -- (5)
2 Marsh Wren -- (4)
2 Bewick's Wren -- (4),(5)
2 American Robin -- (3),(5)
14 European Starling -- (1),(3),(4),(6)
2 Orange-crowned Warbler -- (4),(5)
2 Common Yellowthroat -- (2)
1 Yellow Warbler -- (5)
62 Yellow-rumped Warbler -- (1),(2),(4),(5)
14 Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) -- (2),(4),(5)
12 Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's) -- (2),(4),(5)
4 Spotted Towhee -- (1),(2),(3)
9 Savannah Sparrow -- (2),(3),(4)
4 Song Sparrow -- (2),(4),(5)
3 White-crowned Sparrow -- (2),(3)