[obol] Re: Curry County migration

  • From: HARVEY W SCHUBOTHE <ninerharv2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx" <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>, Adrian Hinkle <adrian.hinkle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 18:06:11 -0700

I am with Tim, I have never seen horned larks in Bandon in the spring, ever.
But we are getting huge flocks of passerines today. The shorebirds to are
finally here. I took some visiting golfers from Minnesota out Friday and the
Marsh was dead, double dead. But yesterday coming back from a shoreline
education awareness seminar, it was packed with the usual suspects of peeps and
Black Bellied Plovers, like Tim said right on schedule on April 18. We had
Caspian Terns fishing Bradley Lake in number for the first time since 2007 and
again passerine flocks in significant numbers this afternoon.

Still awaiting the Tufted Puffins here. They should be here any day. We have
scheduled a Tufted Puffin party for the community April 25 so I am trying not
to disappoint. We do have a couple of stuffed dolls that we will put on top of
Elephant Rock if we have to.

Harv Schubothe
Bandon
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 14:11:17 -070lso be here any day. Shoreline Education
Awareness
Subject: [obol] Re: Curry County migration
From: timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx
To: adrian.hinkle@xxxxxxxxx
CC: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Of all the birds these guys saw, the HORNED LARK is the most unusual. We only
have a single spring record for Coos County, a late April bird, so I expect
they are equally rare in Curry.
The Pacific Loon and Bonie Gull numbers will probably continue for another week
or more. Shorebird migration uusually peaks between about the 20th and the
first week of May, then drops off to a trickle quickly although species
diversity remains OK until about mid-May. It wil be interesting to hear the
numbers over the next few clear, windy days from ocean scopers.
Fun days!Tim RCoos Bay
On Sun, Apr 19, 2015 at 12:39 AM, Adrian Hinkle <adrian.hinkle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
7 when they made a major stop over. White Crown sparr