[obol] Re: RFI: Immature Eurasian-collared Doves

  • From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Hannah Fritz <hannah.fritz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2014 17:09:07 -0700

Hi -

Eurasian Collared-doves have a fairly rare pale morph, which is what this
bird appears to be.  Although escaped/feral Ringed Turtle-Dove have
apparently occurred in Oregon, I suspect most of those reported are
actually these pale-morph Eurasians.  Captive-reared Ringed-Turtledoves are
a bit smaller, and in your photo with 2 birds they seem the same size.

The Eurasian Collared-Doves that have recently colonized North America had
at least a brief episode of captivity and probably captive breeding in
their history, so perhaps these pale birds were a selected variety.

Wayne