[obol] RFI: Immature Eurasian-collared Doves

  • From: Hannah Fritz <hannah.fritz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2014 15:26:56 -0700

I've been curious about a dove that's been visiting my yard for about a
month now. It's much paler than the typical dark gray Eurasian
Collared-Doves that I have. I am assuming it is an immature bird, but
trying to find a description of immature Eurasian Collared-Doves is being
somewhat elusive, since it's mixed in with reports of African
Collared-Doves/Ringed Turtledoves/whatever you want to call them and how to
tell the two apart. I haven't been able to see the bird from underneath, to
check out the undertail coverts, nor have I heard it. Or.. I have heard
ECDs and nothing else, which may be just as telling.

I know if this bird were anything other than an imm. ECD, it would be an
escapee, and I'm not looking to "count" it. Just curious if this is what
young birds look like, or just a different color variation or what.

A few pics:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/eggwhite/birds/dove_zps4d384798.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/eggwhite/birds/doves_zps577e1176.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/eggwhite/birds/msyt_dove_zps1cff0cc9.png