[obol] Re: RFI: Immature Eurasian-collared Doves

  • From: J Hayes <balgryph@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: whoffman@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2014 20:23:28 -0700

There is a bona fide "Ringed Turtle-Dove" that has been co-coo-coo-ing in
my inner SE Portland neighborhood for the past month.

I first saw it gobbling seed at a feeder a couple blocks up the street, but
it has chosen my block as its home base, as I hear and see it regularly
several times each day.

It is about the size of a Mourning Dove, but with a square tail, pearly
white below, with a smaller dark collar than on a ECDO.

Funny thing, there is an ECDO that has been around since March, and several
times I've seen it attack and chase its smaller, paler cousin from its
favorite perch on the power pole across the street.

Fun fact:  I saw FIVE species of columbiforms within walking distance of my
home during the third week of May 2014.  Four of those species are
countable on official lists, the fifth is merely a curiosity.

- Jeff Hayes