[obol] Morrow County 2020 Blitz -- 3rd installment (of four)

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2014 04:56:13 +0000

Greetings all,

The 3rd of 4 installments (link below) chronicling our participation in last
weekend's Oregon 2020 Morrow County Blitz, is now posted. It covers Saturday,
the most intense birding day of the three. We covered three hotspot squares in
the southwest corner of the county, which reaches into the foothills of the
Blue Mountains. Many of the taxa found here are more representative of those
found in the Rocky Mountains than those found in the more proximal Cascades. I
managed to get photos of some of these interesting birds. Mostly, it was a day
spent exploring country that I have barely passed through in my nearly 40 years
of birding in Oregon. It won't be long before I go back for more.

As noted in an earlier post, participating in these county blitzes is a
fantastic way to acquaint yourself with new landscapes and suites of birds that
you may not see very often. I agree with Wayne Weber, who suggested a good
strategy might be to do the blitz and then schedule a few days after to follow
up on all the birds others find during the weekend. Shawneen and I could have
easily spent another couple days poking around in the southern tier of the
county.

http://www.birdfellow.com/journal/2014/06/08/morrow_county_2020_blitz_south_to_the_blues

Dave Irons