[obol] MOUNTAIN QUAIL at Silver Falls State Park

  • From: John Thomas <johnpam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2014 16:54:08 -0700

Took a drive into the hills this morning with Old Dog. A pair of MOUNTAIN QUAIL
were on the pavement just before entering the park from the Silverton side.
Also saw another on edge of Silver Ridge Road above the park along with WESTERN
TANAGER, OLIVE-SIDE FLYCATCHER, Wilson's Warbler, MacGillivray's Warbler
(heard), Hairy Woodpecker, Swainson's Thrush, etc. A SOOTY GROUSE hen (I think-
fast movement) and one chick flew when I walked off Silver Ridge Road. Old Dog
was struggling along into the tall ferns & grass of a particular meadow that
the park staff keeps clear of large trees. She likes going back up where we
have seen some good birds over the years (and brought them out scolding her)
but I think she'll be grounded for a couple days.

Down here on valley floor, Band-tailed Pigeons still hovering around reduced
feed in backyard. We had wood noisily  delivered and didn't seem to bother the
Barn Owls so maybe they have moved into the woodlot.

Good Birding,

John Thomas
NE of Silverton