[obol] Re: Pair of Egrets headed your way

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: HARVEY W SCHUBOTHE <ninerharv2@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 14:59:32 -0700

Harv,

They are about 50 nests across from the museum on the islands out in the
bay off the downtown area, a few G. Blues mixed in.

Tim

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 8:11 PM, HARVEY W SCHUBOTHE <ninerharv2@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

This morning I saw at least 45 birds across the bay from the new Maritime
museum. You are right they move each year. One year just across
the Allegheny Bridge. Another time just north of turnout where the memorial
is. It moves annually although I am not sure there is any decline
in overall numbers.

Harv Schubothe, Bandon

------------------------------
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 19:57:49 -0700
Subject: [obol] Re: Pair of Egrets headed your way
From: timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx
To: matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx
CC: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Matt et al.,

I have seen Egrets in the Coquille Valley the past few years this time of
year but have never spent the time to figure out what they are doing? They
usually are abundant into early May then disappear? They could be breeding
also, I have never really followed up to check?

Meanwhile the breeding Coos Bay Egret colonies seem to move a lot, I think
75+ pairs probably breed every year but it is hard to say, as they move
around a lot each year. Bald Eagle predation certainly causes them to move
around.
This year you can see a lot of nesting birds on the islands off the
downtown area in Coos Bay best seen from downtown Coos Bay. I am sure they
are breeding elsewhere along the bay also (small pockets I see every year).
Seems like Bald Eagles and other predators attack the colonies and keep
them moving from year to year. Cool to know they are expanding their
breeding range to Douglas and Lane Counties!

Tim R
Coos Bay

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 6:05 PM, Matthew G Hunter <
matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well, if you live north of me....

Today I stopped briefly at Stewart Park Wildlife Ponds and Nature Trail in
Roseburg.
While scanning the sky I noticed two large white birds flying north high
up just to the east. They were two GREAT EGRETS flying north about a
quarter mile high. This is nesting season. Where did they come from? Where
are they going? The other odd thing was that in their flight they were very
very close together...within a few feet. In non-breeding months, while
egrets may feed and roost in groups, they typically are more loosely
associated and maintain some space, even in flight. These were so close
they even bumped into each other a couple times. This didn't look like
forage area to nest or roost flight, it looked like a pair heading
north...to check out new real estate for future years. Just my impression.

Full list: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S23021088

Matt Hunter
Melrose, OR