[obol] Field Assistant needed for Woodpecker Surveys

  • From: Adam Baz <adambaz@xxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 14:42:53 -0700

Hello all. I am a graduate student at PSU and am seeking an
experienced field assistant to help with my masters research. I am
conducting a study of woodpeckers in parks throughout the city of
Portland, in an effort to determine their habitat requirements in an
urban landscape. The project is a collaboration with Portland Parks &
Recreation and the Bureau of Environment Services.

The position would involve early morning surveys in various parks
throughout the city (about 3 hours on any given morning). The protocol
is simple: standard point counts followed by audio broadcasts for each
woodpecker species. Requirements for the position would be an ability
to identify all woodpecker species by sight and sound, willingness to
do some minor bushwhacking and steep off-trail hiking, strong
organization and protocol-following skills, and a commitment of 2-4
mornings per week (schedule is flexible). Surveys will run through May
and June.

Do you or someone you know fit the bill? Sadly I do not have funding
to pay assistants, but it's an excellent opportunity to get field
experience and be involved in a project that could have real
management implications here in Portland.

Please contact me directly: adambaz@xxxxxxx.

Thanks!

Adam Baz
MS Candidate *| * Murphy Laboratory
Department of Biology | Portland State University