[obol] Re: Pair of Egrets headed your way

  • From: HARVEY W SCHUBOTHE <ninerharv2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx" <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>, Matthew Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 20:11:15 -0700

This morning I saw at least 45 birds across the bay from the new Maritime
museum. You are right they move each year. One year just across the Allegheny
Bridge. Another time just north of turnout where the memorial is. It moves
annually although I am not sure there is any decline in overall numbers.

Harv Schubothe, Bandon

Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 19:57:49 -0700
Subject: [obol] Re: Pair of Egrets headed your way
From: timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx
To: matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx
CC: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Matt et al.,
I have seen Egrets in the Coquille Valley the past few years this time of year
but have never spent the time to figure out what they are doing? They usually
are abundant into early May then disappear? They could be breeding also, I have
never really followed up to check?
Meanwhile the breeding Coos Bay Egret colonies seem to move a lot, I think 75+
pairs probably breed every year but it is hard to say, as they move around a
lot each year. Bald Eagle predation certainly causes them to move around. This
year you can see a lot of nesting birds on the islands off the downtown area in
Coos Bay best seen from downtown Coos Bay. I am sure they are breeding
elsewhere along the bay also (small pockets I see every year). Seems like Bald
Eagles and other predators attack the colonies and keep them moving from year
to year. Cool to know they are expanding their breeding range to Douglas and
Lane Counties!
Tim RCoos Bay
On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 6:05 PM, Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Well, if you live north of me....

Today I stopped briefly at Stewart Park Wildlife Ponds and Nature Trail in
Roseburg.
While scanning the sky I noticed two large white
birds flying north high up just to the east. They were two GREAT EGRETS
flying north about a quarter mile high. This is nesting season. Where
did they come from? Where are they going? The other odd thing was that
in their flight they were very very close together...within a few feet.
In non-breeding months, while egrets may feed and roost in groups, they
typically are more loosely associated and maintain some space, even in
flight. These were so close they even bumped into each other a couple
times. This didn't look like forage area to nest or roost flight, it
looked like a pair heading north...to check out new real estate for
future years. Just my impression.

Full list: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S23021088

Matt Hunter
Melrose, OR