[obol] Pair of Egrets headed your way

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 18:05:18 -0700

Well, if you live north of me....

Today I stopped briefly at Stewart Park Wildlife Ponds and Nature Trail in
Roseburg.
While scanning the sky I noticed two large white birds flying north high up
just to the east. They were two GREAT EGRETS flying north about a quarter
mile high. This is nesting season. Where did they come from? Where are they
going? The other odd thing was that in their flight they were very very
close together...within a few feet. In non-breeding months, while egrets
may feed and roost in groups, they typically are more loosely associated
and maintain some space, even in flight. These were so close they even
bumped into each other a couple times. This didn't look like forage area to
nest or roost flight, it looked like a pair heading north...to check out
new real estate for future years. Just my impression.

Full list: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S23021088

Matt Hunter
Melrose, OR