[obol] Malheur Update

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 11:24:49 -0700

MHQ this morning between 5:30 and 10:00 had a variety of birds, mostly in
small numbers.  40+ tanagers were the bulk of movement.

Most unusual were a calling LEAST FLYCATCHER (photos to the Harney Birder
website), a singing warbler around 9:30 that Roger Robb and I think was a
BLACK-THROATED BLUE and a VEERY by Duncan Evered early in the morning.  Also
of note a female Myrtle Warbler and a Ruby-crowned Kinglet.

The Least was calling very vigorously from 5:30 until about 5:45 a.m., after
which it called only a few times in three hours.

There was a male Townsend's Warbler at the west side of the complex singing
standard Townsend songs, and the bird we think was a BT Blue was in the far
eastern tree behind the bunkhouse singing nothing but standard ascending BT
Blue songs, essentially identical to the No 1 New York song on the Sibley
app.  Given that there has been a male BT Blue around HQ as recently as
yesterday, we feel pretty sure it is still there.

A female Townsend's was also present, as were a Western Flycatcher and a
Dusky Flycatcher.  A couple of buntings were arouns

I have had no reports from Fields today. Jeff Gilligan and Gerard Lillie
were there overnight.

--
Alan Contreras

acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx