[obol] Malheur Update

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2014 19:10:58 -0700

As far as I know, Fields was a BFZ today and HQ not much better until Tim
Blount and I encountered a vireo that we think is a PLUMBEOUS at HQ.
Although the lighting conditions made many of the photos slightly odd, I
hope that my voice recording will help with a definitive i.d.

Tim and I could not find Virginia's Warbler in the mahogany stands above
South Steens Campground.  We did hear an intriguing song about a hundred
yards west of the Blitzen Crossing bridge on that road. The song sounded
like Virginia's but the habitat there is better for Nashville.  It responded
to neither recording.

Some bird books treat the southern 2/3 of Harney County as outside the
breeding range for MacGillivray's, but I find it regularly at Blitzen
Crossing, and there was a male there today.

Mosquito season definitively began today at Malheur.

--
Alan Contreras

acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx

Eugene, Oregon