[obol] Eugene area birds

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 12:59:49 -0800

Thomas Meinzen and I spent a couple of hours poking around between Fern Ridge
dam and junction City today.

Fern Ridge has large numbers of Common Mergs and a variety of gulls etc. Not
many ducks on Kirk Pond. One black phoebe seen and a probable second heard from
the upper parking lot at the dam. Also at least 12 Townsend's Warblers with
escorting kinglets and dees in the trees on the bluff above the dam.

We drove north on Alvadore, Dorsey and Washburn rds, seeing a Roughleg, loads
of kestrels, a couple of bald eagles. Also a Slate colored Junco in a junco
flock.

The best birds were in a damp pasture on Washburn just south of Ferguson. At
least fifty bb plovers and maybe 1000 Dunlin were spread out among the sheep.
Also about 100 Ringbilled Gulls, a couple of Mew and a Cal. We scanned for more
exotic plovers, but could have missed something in the distance.

There was a nice flock of maybe 25 meadowlarks along Washburn, too.

Thomas can add what I forgot.

Alan Contreras
Eugene, Oregon

acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx