[obol] Eugene area birds

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 12:15:08 -0700

Yesterday I saw a junco on my balcony, the first since April.

This morning I birded Royal Avenue with Thomas Meinzen.  Also ran into Roger
Robb, Dave Brown, Sylvia Maulding and Ellen Cantor.

There is a lot of shorebird activity along the dike leading west from the
platform and even more along the dike leading south once you get to the west
end of the dike from the platform.  There is plenty of water in the far SW
corner of the Fisher complex.

Highlights were:

3, maybe 4 Semi Sandpiper, spread out
2, maybe 3, Baird's Sandpiper, all in the extreme SW corner of the dike
system using the drier mud area "around the corner" in that area. We
eventually lost them completely.
3 Golden-Plovers, as far as I could tell they are all Pacifics.  Will look
through pics just in case
1 Pectoral
1 Red-necked Phalarope
1 Lesser Yellowlegs
15 or so Greater Yellowlegs
1 imm Short-billed Dow which flew in and landed in front of us just as we
were talking about them.
200-250 Long-billed Dow, mostly in the SW Corner.
1 Spotted Sandpiper
6-8 Semi Plovers, which disappeared completely and then reappeared, all
apparently without moving, quite odd.
150-175 Least Sandpiper
40-50 Western Sandpiper
50 + Killdeer

15 White Pelican
15 Great Egret
3 GBH
1 Green Heron
1 Am Bittern
1 Virginia Rail

Thomas can add anything I forgot.

--
Alan Contreras
Eugene, Oregon

Now available by this author:

College and State. How states regulate colleges.

The Mind on Edge: John Jay Chapman's philosophy of higher education.

Song After All: the Letters of Reginald Shepherd and Alan Contreras.