[obol] Re: CBC question

  • From: "Pamela Johnston" <pamelaj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>, "OBOL" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 16:47:56 -0700

I think you might be smelling some sulfur in the air after hearing that question whispered in your ear!

What can beat the 100 years of continuity of the CBC, and its consistent efforts in a well-defined geographical area? The fact that the results are reviewed doesn't hurt, either. I don't find that passé.

What's worse, I am not about to start evaluating eBird. There is some overlap in the way both work, like in Oregon 2020 results, but the reports of a few people going to the spots they select themselves cannot compare to the efforts of a bunch of people going year after year to places they do not personally prefer.

Pamela Johnston

-----Original Message----- From: Alan Contreras
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2015 4:14 PM
To: OBOL
Subject: [obol] CBC question

Query: In the era of ebird, with vast piles of winter bird distribution data available, has the Christmas Bird Count run its natural life span?

Discuss.

(ok, I was asked this question by a diaphanous figure that may have had horns and a tail, but I found the question intriguing.)

Alan Contreras
Eugene, Oregon

acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx

Sent from my iPhone