[obol] Re: CBC question

  • From: "Paul Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 20:27:15 -0700

Alan et al,

The reason I've done nearly ALL of Oregon's Christmas Bird Counts is because
I ENJOY doing them. I enjoy meeting new people, visiting new locales,
seeing how each location does it. It's the camaraderie, the competition,
the challenge of finding a Virginia Rail in the snow, or pulling out a
Harris' Sparrow.
And it's the chili afterward.

Data? I'll let someone else argue about that.

dBird doesn't follow the same protocol in the same place with a lot of the
same people looking for the same birds for the last two score of years...and
following those who did it for a couple lifetimes before we ever started...

Paul Sullivan
Subject: CBC question
Date: Thu Oct 15 2015 18:15 pm
From: acontrer56 AT gmail.com

Query: In the era of ebird, with vast piles of winter bird distribution data
available, has the Christmas Bird Count run its natural life span?

Discuss.

Alan Contreras
Eugene, Oregon
acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx