[obol] Re: CBC question

  • From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 10:26:21 -0700

Yes, another salient aspect almost unique to CBCs--trashbirds become treasure.
Imagine Tim Rodenkirk acting euphoric because he saw a Brown-headed Cowbird!
Lars
On Oct 16, 2015, at 8:17 AM, DJ Lauten and KACastelein wrote:

We've participated on a few of those Northern Minnesota counts. They are
quite the experience. In our section, we worked really really hard to add
European Starling and House Sparrow to our list. If I recall correctly they
were about species number 12 and 13 for the day. Bet there aren't too many
birders who had to work hard to find a starling!!

Cheers
Dave Lauten

On 10/16/2015 4:44 AM, Paul Sullivan wrote:
Each year I see the results of all the Minnesota CBC’s. The highest count
reaches ~60 species – not something an Oregon birder would consider great.

I remember one count that got something like 12 species – total. But they
included Hawk Owl, Great Gray Owl, Common Redpoll, Hoary Redpoll, Pine
Grosbeak, Bohemian Waxwing, Snow Bunting, … and Raven. Sounds like fun. ;-)

Paul Sullivan