[obol] Re: CBC question

  • From: "Paul Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'David Irons'" <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>, "'OBOL Oregon Birders Online'" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 04:44:15 -0700

Each year I see the results of all the Minnesota CBC's. The highest count
reaches ~60 species - not something an Oregon birder would consider great.

I remember one count that got something like 12 species - total. But they
included Hawk Owl, Great Gray Owl, Common Redpoll, Hoary Redpoll, Pine
Grosbeak, Bohemian Waxwing, Snow Bunting, . and Raven. Sounds like fun. ;-)

Paul Sullivan

From: paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [obol] Re: CBC question
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 20:27:15 -0700

Alan et al,

The reason I've done nearly ALL of Oregon's Christmas Bird Counts is
because
I ENJOY doing them. I enjoy meeting new people, visiting new locales,
seeing how each location does it. It's the camaraderie, the competition,
the challenge of finding a Virginia Rail in the snow, or pulling out a
Harris' Sparrow.
And it's the chili afterward.

Paul Sullivan
========================
Subject: CBC question
Date: Thu Oct 15 2015 18:15 pm
From: acontrer56 AT gmail.com

Query: In the era of ebird, with vast piles of winter bird distribution
data
available, has the Christmas Bird Count run its natural life span?

Discuss.

Alan Contreras
Eugene, Oregon
acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>