[obol] Re: Boreal Chickadee Question

  • From: "Phil Pickering" <philliplc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 06:24:07 -0700

Where did the Chestnut-backed Chickadees come from that were racing down the Oregon Coast? Chestnut-backed Chickadees are a normal part of our coastal avifauna, so seeing that species along the coast is not a big deal, but Alan and I (others?) clearly noticed bands of *traveling* birds, from north to south

I know Matt saw a large flock flying south on the coast, but for what it's worth the concentrations I saw at
Cascade Head on both 9/19 and 10/3 were clearly
moving north. Also I don't think Alan commented on
a directional trend in his south coast report.

This at least suggests the possibility the coastal Chestnut-backed numbers and wandering southbound Mountain Chickadees may be causally unrelated.

Phil