[obol] Re: Swamp Sparrow Harney Co.

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gismiller@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 06:57:02 -0700

They have planned to move the Benson beaver for over a year now. Believe it
when it happens.

Alan Contreras
Eugene, Oregon

acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 12, 2015, at 9:05 PM, Craig Miller <gismiller@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

Marilyn and I just returned from a very enjoyable weekend camping at Page
Springs Campground, Harney Co. We didn't make it to Steens Overlook, and
Fields Oasis was dead. On the other hand, beaver activity has transformed
Benson Pond to a Fields Oasis on Steroids. This morning, warblers (mostly
Yellow-rumped, but also a few Orange-crowned) were "dripping" from every
tree. There were lots of sparrows too, mostly White-crowned, but also 3
Lincoln's and a single SWAMP SPARROW.

An interpretive sign at Benson Pond says that it plans to move the beaver
away, so unfortunately the new, unique habitat the beaver created is likely
to be short-lived.

We also saw a likely Broad-winged Hawk at Benson Pond on Saturday, but the
bird was extremely skittish, flying directly away before I could get
definitive looks.

There was an American Dipper at the bridge crossing Blitzen River at Page
Springs. There was an early SNOW GOOSE in a flock of Canada Geese at
Chickahominy Reservoir. We saw a total of 91 species of birds over the
weekend.

Good Birding,

Craig

Sent from my iPad