[obol] Boreal Chickadee Question

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 20:49:35 -0700

My apologies regarding the delay since the last comment on this topic, but
(I've been preoccupied and...) I'd like to elaborate and encourage some
thinking on this topic, for those interested....

Stefan's view that Boreal Chickadee is "not to be expected" in Oregon is a
view that has been around a long time. The reasoning is understandable, due
in large part to the experience he described (little or no downslope
movement near known populations in N WA). However, these
experiences/observations do not and certainly cannot encompass the universe
of possibilities. And, being inquisitive, and with my
bird/forest/ecological research/work/experience, I am inclined to ask
questions and consider the possibilities....

And, before I go further, it might help for me to say, I do not EXPECT to
find Boreal Chickadees in Oregon--in such a way as to be surprised by not
finding them; that's not what I mean. I don't think anyone *expects* Boreal
Chickadee to be found in Oregon, as one might expect Bohemian Waxwings in
NE Oregon most winters.

However, I do expect--meaning I think it is a possibility--that some day,
the environmental conditions will be such that some Boreal Chickadees will
make their way to Oregon... and hopefully (more on that later) be found.
There are several reasons for my view 1) They are not that far away, 2)
large-scale fires may drastically alter their available habitat and may
send them searching for a home, 3) fall/winter "migrations" of Boreal
Chickadees occur in other parts of their range, therefore, I think it is a
possibility here. The reasons we have not yet seen that here could be
genetic, environmental, or ???? 4) The source of fall/winter Boreal
Chickadees could be not only from our "western" populations, but from
populations more in the center of their range, or more northern locales.

And, if I'm wrong--if it never happens--that's okay! My purpose in my
original seed posting was to have some conversation and consider what is
going on with the Chestnut-backed and Mountain Chickadees, and if it might
somehow relate to Boreal Chickadees.

With that in mind, here are a few more things to think about---for anyone
interested in pondering this.

Where did the Chestnut-backed Chickadees come from that were racing down
the Oregon Coast? Chestnut-backed Chickadees are a normal part of our
coastal avifauna, so seeing that species along the coast is not a big deal,
but Alan and I (others?) clearly noticed bands of *traveling* birds, from
north to south: a movement. Is this movement just within Oregon? Does it
extend up to Washington? Canada? Alaska? Have they come down from the
neighborhood of Sooty Fox Sparrows? Have they come from the Canadian
Rockies? I don't know. If they are just from Oregon, is Clatsop County now
devoid of CBCHs? If it is a bigger movement than just within Oregon, ...
how big is it? Does it extend to the range of Boreal Chickadee?

Same questions for the continuing Mountain Chickadee minor invasion of W
OR. This happens every few years to one degree or another. Where are they
coming from? Bend? Washington? Canadian Rockies?

It is the coincident movements of both these species of chickadees--which
surround and intermingle (in broad scale) with the range of Boreal
Chickadee--that led me to consider what might be happening with Boreals as
well. It makes me think, and ask questions.
I remember when I was a young birder I tried to learn the way things ARE,
thinking that things are pretty static in terms of bird ranges, habitat
preferences, bird sounds, etc. As an "older" birder (really just average
birder age) I instead have a sense of how things change over time: bird
ranges, habitat preferences, bird sounds. Now, I watch for how things are
CHANGING. Nature does that.

But ... if a few Boreal Chickadees showed up in Oregon, would Oregon
birders ... notice? Perhaps some would. However, In part because of the
prevailing view that Boreal Chickadees are "not to be expected" in Oregon,
I think Oregon birders are mostly unprepared to detect the species should a
few of them wander this way. I can see myself hearing one call and saying
... ah, that's a Mountain Chickadee, or that's just a grumpy Black-capped
Chickadee, one that got up on the wrong side of the bed, or frankly, not
notice at all! Or, what if I just see one? I could see myself saying ...
(if in some high elevation forest) wow, a Black-capped Chickadee up here?
or Gee that Chestnut-backed sure looked big. This is just what happens when
I am unprepared. How 'bout you? Do you think you could detect one if it was
calling in the woods near you? If you saw one, would you recognize it
instantly? Or would you pass right by it? ...If the day comes that you
think you have found a Boreal Chickadee in Oregon, best thing would be to
at least record its call with your cell phone, and if you can take
pictures, all the better.

So, I'm encouraging folks to just take a look at your field guides, browse
the web and look at photos, and listen to some recordings, to gain at least
the beginnings of familiarity with Boreal Chickadee, if you are not
already. If you study a little bit, and practice with photos and
recordings on the web (of course you could go study actual Boreal
Chickadees in their usual range as well), it will increase the likelihood
of noticing a different chickadee by sight and/or sound that you might want
to check out more closely. You will also learn some things about our common
chickadees that you may not have paid attention to before.

Best Regards,

Matt Hunter
Melrose, OR