[obol] Re: Boreal Chickadee Question

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 06:21:49 +0000

Just a couple thoughts regarding Matt and Darrel's comments.

First, I think that it's a pretty safe bet that the breeding range of Boreal
Owl has not expanded anytime recently. I think Boreal Owls have "always" been
here, as evidenced by a 1902 specimen record from Klamath County. Since Oregon
birders came to understand where and when to look for this species in the
state, they have been reported regularly. Detection issues surely account for
the lack of earlier records.

Second, I think one could probably argue that the frequency of detections of
Swamp Sparrows and Clay-colored Sparrows in Oregon correlates fairly directly
to the ramp-up in the numbers of talented Oregon birders looking for them.
Swamp Sparrows remain a challenge detection wise. If you don't know their call
note, your chances of finding one is pretty remote. The lack of earlier
Clay-colored Sparrow detections (prior to the late 1970s) was probably more of
an ID issue. It has only been over the past 35-40 years that we've had at our
disposal quality ID references that helped us sort out the subtle differences
between immature Chipping, Brewer's and Clay-colored Sparrows. Once we started
getting a few well-documented photos of Clay-coloreds the Oregon birding
community began to recognize that it was a much more likely vagrant to the
state than we previously thought, plus we had a better search image and ID
references.

With many of the birds that we didn't see 30+ years ago, distributions have
changed dramatically. For the most part, the dramatic changes have involved
more southerly species expanding northward, either as breeders/residents (Black
Phoebe, White-tailed Kite, Red-shouldered Hawk) or post-breeding dispersants
(Brown Pelican, Heermann's Gull, Elegant Tern). Offhand I can't think of any
northerly species that has truly expanded its range into Oregon. Incursions of
Elegant Terns were first tied to El Nino events, but now this species seems to
make it to Oregon each fall regardless of water temperatures. This now annual
northbound flight may be to some degree a learned response to late summer
conditions that result in poor food supplies to the south of us. The current
incursion of Black-vented Shearwaters (or at least the scale of it) is a "once
in a lifetime" event so far as we know. How many years will it be before we see
another incursion of this magnitude? That said, the climate changes we are
seeing will continue to drive changes in sea surface temperatures in the
eastern Pacific and this once in a lifetime event may become a regular thing.
Back when Elegant Terns first invaded Oregon (1983) we thought we might be
witnessing a once in a lifetime or once every 20 years event. Back then none of
us (Matt included) thought that within 15 years or so Elegant Terns would be
seen every fall in Oregon.

The northerly (truly boreal) birds that occasionally show up in Oregon are
often connected to late fall/winter irruptions. As suggested by Matt, we really
don't have much of a handle on which source populations are spawning such
incursions. Just yesterday Shawneen, Stefan Schlick and I saw a Mountain
Chickadee on Chetco Point at Brookings. Was this bird merely an elevational
migrant from the nearby Siskiyou Mtns. or did it come from a more northerly or
interior population? Boreal Chickadees are known to irrupt east of the Rockies,
but it doesn't seem to be as much of a western phenomenon. This seems a bit
counter-intuitive given that the irruptions of other finches, grosbeaks, and
chickadees don't seem to differ that much from east to west. I suspect that if
Boreal Chickadee is ever found in Oregon it will be in connection with a
significant irruptive event.

Lastly, I totally concur with Matt on one point and that is that chance favors
the prepared mind. You can't possibly hope to find something out of the
ordinary if you don't know what that thing looks or sounds like. Studying your
field guide listening to vocal recordings on Xeno Canto are the best way to
prepare yourself for a surprise encounter.

Dave Irons
Portland, OR

Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 21:03:27 -0700
From: 5hats@xxxxxxxx
To: matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx
CC: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [obol] Re: Boreal Chickadee Question

Matt, Not saying Boreal Chickadee is to be expected in Oregon. BUT, if you
Swamp and Clay-colored Sparrows, breeding range Boreal Owls, nearly annual
Elegant Terns, northbound excursions of Black-vented Shearwater (shoot, they
didn't even exist by that name back then), and a host of other regular to semi
regular birds, some of which, apparently were here all along, as in the case of
the two aforementioned sparrows and the Boreal Owl, and were simply overlooked.
More properly, their particular habitats had been largely overlooked. If
Boreal Chickadee ever does occur in Oregon, it likely will be in some patch of
micro habitat very similar to that in which the species is found further north,
if such habitat exists in the state. Irruptive vagrancy might not be as much
of an issue as the presence of a slice of such habitat yet overlooked. Notice
I did say "might".Darrel