[obol] Re: Boiler Bay

  • From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: whoffman@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2015 20:34:18 -0800

On Nov 2, 2015, at 8:01 PM, whoffman@xxxxxxxx wrote:

Thanks, Jack, for providing this link. The bathymetry does not show really
deep water close in. What it does show, different than the rest of the
Oregon Coast, is a ridge and trough trending NNW - SSE coming across the
shallow nearshore waters right to the point. This also shows a bit as an
indent in the 10-fathom line on the chart Dawn posted.

I scanned the whole Oregon Coast on Jack's Ocean Basemap, and saw nothing
comparable. While the trough is not particularly deep, the effect would be
to produce turbulence through the whole water column any time a longshore
current is running, north or south. This in turn will tend to concentrate
zooplankton, and attract everything mobile that feeds on them.

In scanning the whole coast, I found a few places where deep water comes in
closer. The champion is Cape Lookout, where the 10-fathom line (60') looks
to be practically within spitting distance of the rocks. Theoretically a
great place for a seawatch. I am not sure i want to walk that trail, though
in time to reach the point at first light. And, wimp that I am, I would miss
the ability to duck into my car to avoid rain showers.

Wayne

Significantly, Gray Whales and Harbor Porpoises come in very near shore as
well at Government Point and south to North Point at Depoe Bay.