[noCensorship] Re: Anon proxy [was: Re: Re: Shake It Up!]

  • From: wayne <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nocensorship@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 7 Mar 2003 10:48:05 -0000

> From: Hat <hat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: nocensorship@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [noCensorship] Anon proxy [was: Re: Re: Shake It Up!]
>
> Hello wayne,

Hiya. Nice to see some posts here for a change :-)

> Thursday, March 6, 2003, 5:31:28 PM, wayne wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >> Okay.  And I know it is suppose to
> >> hide your idenity right?
>
> w> Not normally.
> w> For that, you need a special proxy that doesn't pass
> w> your IP address to the web site. You should also turn off the
> w> active stuff in your web browser to be sure.
> w> To find such a proxy:
> w> 1) Lists of anonymous proxies are posted on the net periodically.
> w> 2) Or you can run through the lists posted here recently with (say)
> w> statProxy.
> w> 3) Or test each one by hand on the proxy test web sites
> w> that exist on the net.
>
> Or use permanent anon proxy!!
>
> I personally prefer to use JAP (Java Anon Proxy) for anonymity:
> http://anon.inf.tu-dresden.de/index_en.html
>
> For those who seek real & safe anonymity tool, I recommend the above.

So would I now, for good anonymity and privacy.
I just checked it out again. The last time was over a year ago, IIRC.

Don't read this bit if you're easily confused. I don't want
to be accused of confusing people again :-)
Here's a quick comparison with localProxy in HTTP anon mode:
1) LP is much faster, Jap is very slow
2) Jap is encrypted, LP is not
3) Jap relies on the mix anonymity (*very* good, I think), LP relies
on anon proxies tested by me (or by you using something like statProxy).
4) LP is huge because it does other things too, Jap is specialized
for this job and uses few resources.
5) Jap seems to be using a single proxy at the end of the chain, LP
tries to be clever using multiple proxies at the end and that causes
problems occasionally with subscription sites that like to see you
coming from only one proxy at a time :-)
6) Jap looks to be reliable, LP often needs the user to refresh a
page to get all the components. The new retry code (CVS only for
now)helps a lot, but has different problems itself.
7) Jap relies on access to the first mix port. This could be easily
blocked by any ISP. LP does not have this problem provided there
are proxies (of several different types) to get to.

Most of the above characteristics are part of the designs
themselves, and could never be 'fixed' completely.

> For as wayne explained, you can never know when an anon proxy turns
> off or dies.
> Plus you don't have to test anything.

> All what you have to do is set
> your browser to localhost:4001 and surf.

Yep. Same as LP.

> However, you might face some problems with password controlled sites,
> but you can face same even with the normal anon proxies around.

Yep. LP too. I think Jap is probably better here though.

> On the other hand, I belive that using such programs like JAP or even
> LP, encourage the developers to go on improvement, thus better
> services! Users contribution can be as simple as using the software,
> and reporting bugs or providing some bandwidth if u have it and the
> community needs it!

Jap's not the p2p kind of thing though, where each user adds bandwidth.
You would need to run a mix - not something the average user could do.

> w> Hotmail also goes into a secure mode for one page during the login,
> w> so whatever proxy you used would need to be tested for anonymity
> w> in that mode too.
>
> w> I would not trust hotmail for this kind of thing.
> w> Most others don't do this.

I meant most other web-based email sites don't add the address headers.

> w> If you really want email anonymity, google for 'anonymous remailers'.
>
> Or go further step and setup your nym account and have a
> permanent anon email account like the one wayne or I'm using!

Heh, of all the thousands of users we've talked to on these lists, I only
know of a few who have managed this. :-)
I think I could still count them on one hand.

--
wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://proxytools.sourceforge.net/

===8>============== noCensorship community ===============