[noCensorship] Re: Anon proxy [was: Re: Re: Shake It Up!]

  • From: Hat <hat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nocensorship@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 8 Mar 2003 18:56:32 -0000

Hello wayne,

[...]

w> Hiya. Nice to see some posts here for a change :-)

Probably we should have made an introductory party :)

[...]

>> Or use permanent anon proxy!!
>>
>> I personally prefer to use JAP (Java Anon Proxy) for anonymity:
>> http://anon.inf.tu-dresden.de/index_en.html
>>
>> For those who seek real & safe anonymity tool, I recommend the above.

w> So would I now, for good anonymity and privacy.
w> I just checked it out again. The last time was over a year ago, IIRC.

That's true... I don't remember anyone reported of using it though.
However, the developers keeps on improving the service...

w> Don't read this bit if you're easily confused. I don't want
w> to be accused of confusing people again :-)

I guess you already did by talking about simpler things... Some other
gurus will appreciate it :)

w> Here's a quick comparison with localProxy in HTTP anon mode:

Hey, sorry, I didn't mean to compare it with LP. But if you insist!

w> 1) LP is much faster, Jap is very slow

I'm not sure which speed you are talking about here. However, if you
are talking about running the GUI, IMHO both are slow.
If you mean the service, well, both depends on the proxy you are
using. However, LP has got an advantage here by testing the proxies
and demoting the slow proxies as I remember it and using multi proxies
at the same time. In JAP, they are running 2-4 proxy servers always
(not as a multi proxy like LP) to choose from, and the speed depends
on the number of user and traffic. Normally the main server is used by
average of 1300 users, where as the second or third server might not
be loaded by more than 80-100 users. Normally the users are lazy to
switch to another server, since JAP will automatically run the default
server.

OTOH, in LP, you can never predict when an anon proxy is going to be
slow if it's under heavy traffic. It all depends on the proxy in use
here, not only the tools in use (LP or JAP).

w> 2) Jap is encrypted, LP is not

That's correct!

w> 3) Jap relies on the mix anonymity (*very* good, I think), LP relies
w> on anon proxies tested by me (or by you using something like statProxy).

Which we can never depend on! Since the proxy in use by LP can never
be trusted to remain anon. It can turn non-anon any moment. And I
don't think that it would be practical to keep on testing an anon
proxy for that reason. It's time consuming and might alert the ISP or
the proxy owner. Mix was made for the anonymity purpose, however the
free anon open proxies around, just happened to be setup like that.
Maybe they are a trap for terrorists :)

w> 4) LP is huge because it does other things too, Jap is specialized
w> for this job and uses few resources.

True. However, the GUI is now so crowded with options, I as an old
power user of LP, recently find myself need to read the FAQ's to check
what I'm doing or how I would do it!

w> 5) Jap seems to be using a single proxy at the end of the chain, LP
w> tries to be clever using multiple proxies at the end and that causes
w> problems occasionally with subscription sites that like to see you
w> coming from only one proxy at a time :-)

That's one of the main reasons I needed JAP for. Since I was forced to
do some maintenance with these password accessed mailing lists and
all..

w> 6) Jap looks to be reliable, LP often needs the user to refresh a
w> page to get all the components. The new retry code (CVS only for
w> now)helps a lot, but has different problems itself.

I haven't test LP lately. I'll let you know if I do!

w> 7) Jap relies on access to the first mix port. This could be easily
w> blocked by any ISP. LP does not have this problem provided there
w> are proxies (of several different types) to get to.

This could only be a case to look after in countries under censorship
like UAE and KSA, not in other countries!

One more disadvantage of JAP. All the proxy servers are in Dresden -
Germany!

[...]

>> On the other hand, I belive that using such programs like JAP or even
>> LP, encourage the developers to go on improvement, thus better
>> services! Users contribution can be as simple as using the software,
>> and reporting bugs or providing some bandwidth if u have it and the
>> community needs it!

w> Jap's not the p2p kind of thing though, where each user adds bandwidth.
w> You would need to run a mix - not something the average user could do.

Yes, they don't have to.

[...]

>> Or go further step and setup your nym account and have a
>> permanent anon email account like the one wayne or I'm using!

w> Heh, of all the thousands of users we've talked to on these lists, I
only
w> know of a few who have managed this. :-)
w> I think I could still count them on one hand.

I know few too. I once posted a step by step, how to setup a nym
account. If someone is interested, I can pull the post from the
archive. Anyone?

>> Regards,
>> Hat

w> --