[ncsc-moths] Re: 21 species for Dec- need help with unidentified

  • From: Doug Allen <dougk4ly@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, DougK4LY@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 19:58:49 -0500

Hi again Ken and Jean,
   Yes Ken, I received the info to my Picasa account and changed 9946 to
9944.  Don't quite know why I choose 9946 before. Nice picture of the
Red-bordered Emerald, Ken.  I haven't had any Emeralds here since November
and never that dark of one, although I see one of your pictures on MPG of
an even darker one!
Jean, thanks for the info on the wings up Bent-line Carpet.  I have a file
with about 15 unidentified wings up moths.  MPG and BG don't seem to have
the Carpet in that position, or probably of some of my other unidentified
wings-up moths. BG actually has a broken link a Bent-line Carpet showing
underside of wings  from John Himmelman, Connecticut, whose book I have
read.  In the future I need to try, when possible, to get pictures of a
moth in the different natural positions so that I can associate them.  I
should also figure out a way to take a wingspan or length measurement.  I
haven't and don't plan to capture any moths.
Here are a couple of pictures from last summer's National Moth Week outing
here.  I had only been moth-ing for about 6 weeks and heard about Nat'l
Moth Week.  Jean, one of the students in my birding and butterflying class,
came over, and we set up black lights here and at the organic farm across
the lane.
Hmmm, I'm not sure the pictures have been added to this email?  I may have
forgotten how to do it- so we'll see.
Doug Allen