[ncsc-moths] Re: 21 species for Dec- need help with unidentified

  • From: Doug Allen <dougk4ly@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 10:21:11 -0500

Thanks Ken,
   The Vetch Looper was a real learning experience.  I glanced at it
several times in MPG and BG trying to find some close relative with that
gray color, but none of the pictures were even close.  Of course, now when
I look at the specific field marks, they're all there.

Have you looked at the one labeled 1422.  There is only one Palmetto tree
within a mile of here!  I couldn't find anything else that resembled my
picture.

The Wedgling mistake was a dumb one.  It's a mirror image of the picture
correctly identified above it.  Wedgling has been the most common moth seen
this month.  I was trying too hard for that 21st species of the month to
pass Richmond County's 20 species for the month of December.  The games
people play!  I do have a couple of unsatisfactory pictures of a 21st and
22nd species that I'll investigate.

Doug Allen  Windmill Hill, 8 miles south of the NC border and 12 miles from
the SC mountains