[muglo] Re: time lapse

  • From: Don Green Dragon <fergdc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 14:54:20 -0700

Hi Wayne,

On 2011-25Feb-, at 6:17 PM, Wayne Dobson wrote:

> On Feb 25, 2011, at 7:09 PM, Don Green Dragon wrote:
>>>

>> Hmmm! On my iMac, 'System' translates as 'Macintosh HD'.
>>
>> Here, the file <com.apple.backupd-auto.plist> does not exist, but one could
>> easily be created with the content
>>
>> <key>StartInterval</key>
>> <integer>86400</integer>
>>
>> which should yield a 24 hour backup. Any one tried that?
>>

> Here's how to navigate:
>
> <Picture 2.pdf><Picture 3.pdf><Picture 4.pdf>

Your photos have been snipped. The original message that I was alluding to read

> named com.apple.backupd-auto.plist.

and since '\' refers to the root of a Unix file system, I looked for 'System'
hanging from the root. Not finding such, I took a look around and could not
find the file in question. After reading your note, I found the file easily  by
following:

Macintosh HD -> System -> Library -> LaunchDaemons

Have no idea why I did not find it on the first attempt!  :-(

Later: Ah! I see it now! From a bash shell, the command "cd /system" takes one
to "/system", but if one is using that Idiot Finder, then one has to access
"Macintosh HD -> System" on my setup.

> Once you find the file, double click to open in text edit. Make the changes,
> then save them.
> Now, the fun begins. You will not be able to save the changes until you
> change permissions for the file if you are logged on under any name other
> than administrator. If you run into problems, contact me.
>
> I've made the changes, but haven't verified they work.

Where did you make the changes? Doug wrote

"
> and look for this section:
>  <key>StartInterval</key>
>  <integer>3600</integer>
"

and here the file "com.apple.backupd-auto.plist" did not have a section
starting with (see below where the "sudo" command certainly changed it)

<key>StartInterval</key>

I assume that one would enter the code between <dict> ... </dict> ; i.e.,
between the 'main' pair <dict> ... </dict>. But I'm not familiar with such
files, hence I'll hang back and listen for events elsewhere.

Later: After reading Terry's message, and the website reference, I did the

doncarvel:~:$ sudo defaults write
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.backupd-auto StartInterval -int 86400
Password:

trick and then checked in the file "com.apple.backupd-auto.plist". It sure as
hell has been changed. It is totally different from its form prior to the
"sudo" command above. It looks suspiciously like a binary file .....

My guess is that I've really screwed the system up! Oh well ..... we'll see
what happens!  ;-)

Don Green Dragon
fergdc@xxxxxxx