[muglo] Re: time lapse

  • From: Doug Bale <dougbale@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 08:17:05 -0800 (PST)

Sometimes it seems nothing's ever simple. To answer your second question first,
Don, I was using a Time Capsule for backup, with Time Machine. As Wayne says,
Time Machine editors will let you alter the interval between backups, but using
them requires that the machine be repointed to the backup drive after every
reboot. That's a nuisance, since a) my aging iBook, frequently being pushed to
its limits, fairly often requires unscheduled reboots and b) my aging brain,
ditto, fairly often forgets this kind of detail in unexpected circumstances. I
don't like the idea of relying on a supposedly automated backup procedure
that's
no longer automated and might from time to time not be working because I'd
forgotten the necessary step to make it kick in. Who knows how long it might be
before I noticed? I feel more comfortable relying on a routine of regular,
predictable, manual backups to another drive.
Which brings me to your first question. The main reason Time Machine's default
hourly backups were such a nuisance was that on the iBook they took so long and
slowed other concurrent tasks to a crawl. I think a new, faster and more
powerful computer — a Mac, to be sure — will at the very least minimize the
duration and the performance penalty of future backups. Also, I understand that
Time Machine's own code can be tweaked in Terminal to do only one backup every
24 hours, which is what I really want.
In any case, the Time Capsule issue has become moot for the time being. The TC
died last week.
Sic transit memoria.