[muglo] Re: time lapse

  • From: Wayne Dobson <pwdobson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 06:14:58 -0500

Doug and I resolved this at the last meeting: Of course a new computer won't help. When using any Time Machine editor program to change the schedule, there is a 'Catch 22'. To use the 'Editor', Time Machine must be 'Off'. When off, the computer doesn't recognize the drive as a back-up drive, and no back-ups are done.

Each time you boot up, you must turn on Time Machine, select the drive as the 'Back-up drive', Open the 'Editor' program, then turn Time Machine off to relinquish control to the editor.

This is a pain, unless you leave your computer on as I do. I've found that the 'TimeMachine Editor' program does stay set between boots, so you can skip that step at least.

On Feb 21, 2011, at 10:50 PM, Don Green Dragon wrote:

I've been lurking with respect to the discussion with respect to Time Machine. Why would "a new computer" --- a Mac I presume --- make any difference!?!?!?

What do you use an an external hard drive for your manual backups? Thanks.

Don Green Dragon
fergdc@xxxxxxx

Wayne Dobson
pwdobson@xxxxxxxxxx