[muglo] Re: new mac

  • From: "J TAYLOR" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "taylorc547" for DMARC)
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 20:13:08 -0700

Thanks Doug. Good advice. I don't have an iphone but Ramona has had one, and an
iPad, for some time .... and loves them both. I have a fairly new(ish) big
screen Mac at Port that I like. But the (smaller/older) one I have in London
is, well, limited these days. I've had it forever. My first as I recall. Still,
I think I'd be nervous with an iPad. Lot to learn and, well, I'd likely forget
where it was ..... if you know what I mean. That said, I'll have a look and see
what's out there. Too old to learn anything really new, particularly with
altzeimers, but I'll wander up to Masonville? and have a look at what's out
there. Jim

Subject: [muglo] Re: new mac
To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Monday, October 19, 2015, 8:26 PM

If you have an iPhone,
I’d suggest going to one of the iPads — big enough
screen, way better resolution than you’re used to, and it
would be the same OS as your phone, but able to do a few
more tricks with it. You wouldn’t want to do a whole lot
of writing with its on-screen keyboard — though you could,
in a pinch; I’ve written longish articles and done page
layouts even on my little iPhone 5, when it was that or
nothing — but with any one of the several wireless
keyboards that are available for it, you’d be perfectly at
home. There’s at least one that’ll double as a screen
cover.
If you’re not using an iPhone, you
can get cellular capability included with the iPad.

Alternatively, you might want
to go for a Macbook — again, great screen, and this time
the keyboard built right in. You’d be using the Mac OS
you’re used to (or rather, the updated version of it,
which has all kinds of goodies and plays quite nicely with
iOS anyway).
Either way, you get a system
that’s a breeze to tote, ideal for deking between Port and
here, and no trouble to take in to the good folk at the
Apple Store if you ever need help with it

You can compare specs for all
the options on Apple’s website, sort of make up your mind,
and then go see the stuff for real and ask questions up in
Masonville.

---
The group web site is at http://muglo.ca/Welcome_to_Muglo.html
The group web site is at http://muglo.ca/Welcome_to_Muglo.html