[muglo] Re: new mac

  • From: doug rogers <dougsamu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 22:39:36 -0400

On 18-Apr-07, at 9:37 PM, Marlene Thompson wrote:

>>   "IT" being the network?  Go to Finder. Under the menu named
>> 'Finder' go to 'Preferences', 'General'... is 'Connected Servers'
>> clicked on? Under Sidebar, are the correct items clicked on?
>
> ok good. All the desktop items were clicked on.  But the "new finder
> window" was clicked on "home" and I clicked "computer" and now I can
> "see" the network.  But now when I try to get onto the network it
> says I can't get on because I need to "fix alias"

Well, this says that the Mac did once have a network connection and
built an alias to it in it's database. It means that the Mac no
longer has access to the network because the alias cannot find the
network. Silly, but we 'knew' this, and now we *!know!* this. Not
much help. Except it confirms that we know what we don't know. :-)

Have you restarted the Mac recently? Usually it's pretty smart about
finding networks.

Have you restarted the router?

Have you restarted the server?

Windows Sharing is turned on in the Preferences / Sharing Pane?

Do you still have time left on your Applecare warranty?

Remind us, is this a wired ethernet connection or a wireless Airport
connection from the Mac?

And you're certain you have the correct permissions on the Windows side?

___<http://home.golden.net/~samu>
__<http://dougsamu.wordpress.com/>