[muglo] Re: What is AW [was Re: Encodings]

  • From: Gerhard Kuhn <gerhardk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 21:29:47 -0400

On May 30, 2004, at 8:15 PM, Martin Albinger wrote:

> Using 32 worksheets sounds like you are doing a lot of data
> management with inter realtionships from one sheet to the next.
> You likely should be using a data management program rather than
> a spreadsheet unless of course you are doing some _really_
> intensive number crunching.

Actually what I am doing is cash reconciliation for retail stores.  31
sheets are for each possible day of the month and 1 sheet is a summary
that shows the sales summary, Visa, Master Card, Debit Card, American
Express totals, PST collected, GST collected and any GST input credits
we incurred through paid outs from the cash register.  Using this
method when the last days deposit has been made you have all the
information needed to fill out PST and GST returns.  This has proven to
be efficient and simple.  We have five retail stores so each month five
of these work books are created and a sixth one consolidates all the
information.  It is also incredibly easy to create charts to show sale
trends, comparisons with previous years etc.

> Going back to AW.  In other words is MS Works Word (for lack of a
> better term) a lousy word processor that no one need use because
> MS Office has MS Word? Do you think MS Works would provide most
> people all the wp, ss or db that they need? My guess is likely.
Actually for the last couple of years MS Works contains the full
version of MS Word as it's word processor.

> The only reason most people use the Office suite is because that
> is what they use at work so that's what they get.  Nothing like
> having a Lamborgini contact for a word processor on your desk.
> (That comparison might be generous!  Perhaps a Mercedes 600
> series?  There are other word processors out there that some
> suggest are better than word.  (McDonalds has served billions but
> does that make them good?)

I agree Office has features that are beyond what all but a few users
will ever need but when you need to create a presentation you may use a
feature that you would not have thought was useful when you first
purchased your software.