[muglo] Re: What is AW [was Re: Encodings]

  • From: Martin Albinger <max@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 15:16:46 -0400

Theresa Roth wrote:
> Theresa writes
> What is AW?

A short cut for AW = AppleWorks currently in flavour 6.2.4 (OSX
x.x) and 6.2.3 (MacOS 9.x).  Stop Reading Here --->  <start rant>

Started life on the Mac as ClarisWorks (CW) in flavour 2.x I
think then moved up in increments to CW 5.x which was then
changed to AW 5.x.  I started using CW at version 4 - still like
the way it did some things as compared to AW6 but over all prefer
AW6. I totally skipped CW5.

It has a long history starting out originally as /// Easy Pieces
(/// = 3) for the Apple Lisa, the pieces being word processor
(wp), spreadsheet (ss), and database (db), transferred over to
the Apple ][ (A2) where it ran and runs as version 5.1 (AW 5.1).
  I still like A][ program and occasionally use it under
emulation on my Mac.  Runs like a charm for the most part
considering that the programming was originally done for MacOS
7.5, 7.6 - nothing seems to have broken in terms of function.
There are some things that the A2 AW5.1 version does that are
much better than AW6 especially in the database.

Some would say AW6 is a pathetic program that attempts to be a
word processor which is likely fairly true as it is in need of
revision.  Since the word processor is as far as most people ever
get with the program they really don't get a sense of all the
pieces and how powerfully they are integrated providing a program
whose whole is so much more than its individual pieces.  For most
people it would be all they would ever need.  The integration
between the wp, spreadsheet (ss) and database (db) is great
allowing considerable flexibility. When you throw Applescript
into the mix you can do some really amazing stuff with what are
essentially free progams from Apple.

I find MS Word is overkill for 85% of what I do. Of the remaining
15% a little creative thinking takes care of the another 7-10%
leaving 5% - 8% that the worlds most bloated, feature full wp can
keep.

Have I missed anything - just don't get me started!!

<end rant>

Does that help Theresa?