[muglo] Re: Toast 5.0.2 and Burned Sessions

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 17:10:08 -0500

>From: Leith Peterson <lpeterso@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [muglo] Re: Toast 5.0.2 and Burned Sessions
>Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 17:43:16 -0500
>
>I'm using CD-R's, although I have a few re-writeables which I haven't
>used much.  I assume when you say use ISO9660, you mean the 8.3
>character format.  I have been using the xxxx.xxx format, but not
>necessarily with 8 characters before the decimal.  Maybe I'll try
>that.

That's the *very* basic ISO9660 format. There are extensions to the format
for the 256 character Windoze format along with the Mac 31 character format
(and the "fake" 256 char Mac OS X format). I suspect that the Unix
filesystem that OS X can use (_not_ recommended unless you're a developer
with a very specific need) even has an ISO9660 extension.

>I do a great percentage of my business by email, so the most common
>thing I'm backing up is Eudora, just the Eudora folder, not the
>application.  This is because a lot of decisions are being made by
>email, and I want to have a record of them in electronic form.  Also,
>my Eudora fills up quickly as I'm on so many lists, so I often back
>up and then delete the older stuff after about 8 days.

I'd use CD-RWs for that. Also, you may want to split up your e-lists between
different Eudora folders. This will allow you to make better use of your
backups by backing up less important stuff less frequently (or not at all
since you probably don't look at old stuff anyway).

>Other than that my backups are incremental.

For those, use ISO9660 with the Macintosh filenames format. Each time you do
a burn import the most recent session and add/replace/delete the files you
no longer need.

http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/features&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca