[muglo] Re: Burned Sessions

  • From: Tee Cashmore <tee.cashmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 19:27:06 -0500

Ilbert Walker wrote:

>Not sure whether this is ''on topic'  :-)
>
>But would welcome others advice, from experience, regarding the best
>type of CD or DVD discs to buy for burning music to, duplication etc. ?
>
>Make or Brand Name ?   Size or capacity?  R or RW s?
>
>Also any tips or tricks for beginners ?  Using OSX on a G5 -  The only
>Toaster I have is in my kitchen ! :-)
>
>Thanks
>

>Ilbert

Hi Ilbert,
I use Toast 5 something and the process is very easy as the software is
very user friendly. Some CD burners are not recognized by O/S X so the
built in burner software doesn't always work, although in theory it should.
As to which CDs to buy there are varying opinions, but I have found the
white coloured work very well & it's much easier to see the written
info; I use a "Sharpie" fine point permanent marker.
650 MB seem to be best size, but most are now 700 MB & I haven't noticed
any difference.
I mostly buy mine at Forest City Surplus on Dundas at Third St.
Universal is the brand and they are marked as 48 x speed, type 80,
compact disc recordable. I don't buy rewriteables as the discs are so
cheap it hardly seems worth the extra cost, besides the used discs make
great hangings outside to keep birds away from windows etc. & they are
quite colourful as they rotate <G>.
HTH.
BTW my research into printers indicates that the best value seem to be
Canon, almost all models are O/S X rated, both on the packaging & their
web site. They have the most number of ink cartridges and the prices are
good with frequent specials at Future Shop; Staples have a very poor
selection.
Canon LIDE 80 is my current choice for scanner, although I am holding
back as an insider tells me that a new model update is immanent.
TTFN,
TeeC