[mswindowsxp] Re: Creating a Bootable Floppy.

  • From: Ted Cotton <tabcot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 10:31:47 +1200

Hi, Ibrahim..... or is your Christian name Mustafa?

> It turns out this is an issue known to Microsoft.> There is a lot more
detail in this article here:

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;140060

This helps a lot. Many thanks.

I have a problem with my removable HDD It is 40gb Samsung SP0411N. It has
been working perfectly for six months and was connected as Master on the
secondary IDE cable with my Ricoh MP5240A DVD Writer. I was advised to
change my settings to make my DVD writer the Master and the HDD the slave,
which I did. I inadvertently connected the HDD jumper settings to the 32 gb
position and had to reformat the drive. I then corrected my settings to the
general position and had to reformat again.

This is my problem: MS CheckDisk and Norton Disk Doctor say the HDD is
perfect and I can copy MS backups and anything else to it perfectly, but
Norton Ghost says it doesn't recognise the drive. Also, Partition Magic says
the drive is Bad and the Partition outline is coloured yellow. I tried to
format the drive using Partition Magic, but it came up with: Error Number 4.
BADMBR. As this is a removable drive, should it have a MBR?
I then started Windows CheckDisk in Partition Magic and I got a message:
"Warning. No F Parameter". Does this mean that the "Fix" option wasn't
checked?

I have asked this question on other forums and have been advised to use
FDisk, zap or Delpart to clean the disk and use Partition Magic to reformat,
but I am afraid of accidentally wiping my C: drive. What it amounts to,
really, is that I am only unable to do Norton Ghost backups, everything else
is spot on.

Could it be a faulty IDE cable? The one I am using is an 80 wire type.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Kind Regards,

Ted.
------